Montclair State University offers several faculty development opportunities to support online teaching including technology workshops, an online course emphasizing pedagogical considerations, as well as our Annual Summer Institute.
Develop a strong foundation by participating in our learning management workshops. We recommend the following sequence of trainings to support your online/hybrid course development, and offer these workshops in Canvas (MSU's new Learning Management System).
- Sneak Peek at Canvas (Now offering evening and online classes): This workshop is an opportunity to see the Canvas interface, learn about its robust features and functionalities as well as ask any questions you may have regarding this application.
- Introduction to Canvas (Now offering evening and online classes): This is an introductory Canvas workshop. Come learn how to build a student friendly course in the Canvas environment. We will begin with the Canvas interface and learn how to effectively navigate within your course. You will explore how to customize your course Home Page, create announcements, build instructionally sound content, utilize the Syllabus tool, upload files and customize your course settings.
- Facilitating Interaction In Canvas (Now offering evening and online classes): This workshop focuses on how to build an effective social learning environment within Canvas utilizing the Discussion Board, Wikis, Messages/Conversations, Conferences/Collaborations as well as groups to facilitate online interaction and communication. These features and tips can also supplement your traditional face-to-face courses.
- Designing Assessments in Canvas (Now offering evening and online classes): This workshop focuses on how to build online assessment instruments by introducing assignments and quizzes, as well as demonstrate how to administer the Canvas Grade Center. It is intended to help faculty effectively assess/track student learning.
- Importing Blackboard Course Content into Canvas: This workshop focuses on importing content from Blackboard to Canvas. Would you like guidance/assistance with this process? If so, come to this important workshop to learn more about the process and what to expect. Prerequisite: Canvas Sneak Peek or Intro to Canvas.
- Building Communities in Canvas: This workshop focuses on how to build communities in Canvas, which allow any department or group at Montclair State University to easily communicate, collaborate, and share information. Communities are similar to Canvas courses, but are designed for organizations and administrative work groups. Please come to this class if you are looking for an easy way to communicate and collaborate within your department or group. This course will also guide current Blackboard Community users on how to transfer their community content to Canvas.
Blackboard workshops: While we no longer offer Blackboard training workshops, we offer one-on-one/group consultations. Please contact Susan Graham for further assistance.
For a full list of upcoming trainings, visit the Training and Events page.
Empowering Online Teaching and Learning:
This online and hybrid course is intended to provide faculty with an overview of teaching and learning online, an introduction of various pedagogical considerations, an orientation of the best online practices, and guidelines for integrating appropriate instructional technologies to facilitate online and hybrid teaching and learning. For more information about the Faculty Development Program, visit the Empowering Online Teaching and Learning page.
This annual event showcases the online course design and development process, strategies for building online collaboration, and methodologies for creating instructional activities and learning assessments. This event will demonstrate instructional technologies that can be integrated into online teaching to facilitate and enhance student learning. It also provides an opportunity for faculty to share experiences and to develop an online course with individual consultation provided by our Technology Training and Integration staff. For more information, visit the Summer Institute page.