A faculty development initiative: Certification for teaching online/hybrid courses at MSU
About the Program
The certification program for teaching online and hybrid at MSU is designed to empower faculty with a critical foundation to develop best pedagogical and technological practices for online and hybrid teaching. This faculty development program includes the following 2 tracks, and comes with certification upon completion of both components:
The following Canvas workshops
Empowering Online Teaching Teaching and Learning (EOTL) (Required)
The Technology Track aims to help faculty develop foundational competencies in order to use Canvas to teach online or hybrid. The Introduction to Canvas training class introduces how to build a student-friendly course in the Canvas environment. Faculty will gain familiarity with the Canvas interface and learn how to effectively construct and manage their courses. They will explore how to customize the course settings, create announcements, build instructionally sound learning modules, utilize the dynamic syllabus tool, and more.
Faculty members are also strongly encouraged to take two additional Canvas training classes: Facilitating Interaction in Canvas and Designing Assessment in Canvas. For more details about the 2 classes, please visit http://tti.montclair.edu/training/acanvas-workshops/.
The Pedagogy Track consists of a 4-week course delivered purely online or hybrid, facilitated by our instructional designers. The course was designed to serve as a required prerequisite for faculty interested in teaching online or hybrid (blended) and engage them from a conceptual pedagogical perspective for teaching and learning, rather than a skills-based technology perspective. Faculty can choose to take either the online option or the hybrid one at their decision. It provides faculty with a pedagogical foundation for designing and teaching online and hybrid courses at Montclair State University through the following key topics:
- Introduction to Teaching and Learning Online/Hybrid
- Approaches to Online/Hybrid Instruction
- Online/Hybrid Community and Interaction
- Online/Hybrid Learning Assessment
This comprehensive exploration into online and hybrid teaching models best practices and enables faculty participants to experience taking an online course while applying research-based methodologies to the design and delivery of their own courses. Visit our Empowering Online Teaching and Learning webpage for registration and more information.
Participation in both technology and pedagogy tracks is required for all faculty members who will be teaching online/hybrid at Montclair State University if they haven’t done so yet. Faculty must complete both tracks in order to receive certification for teaching an online or hybrid course.
The Process of Implementing the Certification Program
The process of implementing the certificate program is a collaborative effort between an individual department, individual faculty members, and the Instructional Technology and Design Services (ITDS). It can be conducted in a variety of methods.
- Individual departments communicate with their faculty about the requirements of the certificate program before their faculty can be approved to teach online or hybrid.
- Individual faculty members register for both the technology and pedagogy tracks, as listed above. Upon successful completion, the faculty member will be awarded a certificate to certify that he or she can teach online/hybrid at Montclair State University. The ITDS department will share with each department a list of faculty who have participated in the FDP and are successfully certified to teach online/hybrid.
- In addition, Individual departments may send a list of faculty, who are interested in or have requested to teach online/hybrid, to the Director of ITDS, Dr. Yanling Sun. The list should include the following information:
- Faculty Name and Email:
- Titles of Online/Hybrid Courses:
- Semester of Course Offerings:
ITDS will provide feedback on the list identifying the faculty members who have completed both the pedagogy and technology tracks and are therefore certified to teach online and hybrid. Meanwhile, we will reach out to the faculty on the list who have not participated in the FDP program yet and assist them with program registration.
Instructional Technology and Design Services (ITDS) | Copyright © 2017 Montclair State University | All Rights Reserved